View Single Post
Old 10-24-16, 12:57 PM   #19
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

My older computer was a 32 bits Vista home basic.
Can't remember what else it had beside the chipset family(I think is the name of the graphic card was)

Markus
I noticed your comment, and I thought I should mention...

Just because your OS was 32bit, does not mean that your PC was also.

My mother purchased a pre-built PC, with Vista 32bit. But, the System was a AMD Athlon x2 4400 64bit.

Every time I checked on Windows, the 64bit was always slightly more expensive than the 32bit.
Biggest issue I noted was most people were having trouble with 32bit programs on a 64bit version of Windows. Might have been the same situation with your older Vista PC.
They chose the less costly, more compatible route, rather than the newest route.

The BIOS should tell you when it "POST" at start up what kind of processor is on the board. Although not all boards are really detailed in that regard.
Most however, do tell you IN the BIOS what kind of Processor you have, MHZ, etc.

So far any Linux version I've tried, Fedora, Ubuntu, Knoppix, to name a few, will tell me what kind of Processor I have.
If you actually have a 32bit CPU, and you get the 64bit Version of your chosen Linux Distro, it will tell you if you have a 32bit CPU.
The reverse is also true.
I haven't seen a 32bit processor for sale anywhere since before I built my 5600 X2, around 8 years ago.
(About the time the AMD Phenom was about to be released, or just had been, I'm not entirely sure of the year anymore.)

Just a few thoughts...

Barracuda UAK
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote