View Single Post
Old 10-23-16, 08:18 AM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I do get all that stuff about prioritising Linux using the partitions, too... I had been beginning to consider partitioning my PC with a reinstalled Windows 8, only that would probably only be buying me some time before an inevitable compulsory upgrade.

Now I'm more and more interested in Linux or Ubuntu. BUT... if I start running my website on one of these platforms, will it affect communication with customers who are using Windows? Dumb question, maybe, but as I told CW the other day, I'm not a techno.
Actually, prioritizing is not what we're doing. We're isolating Windows on its own hard drive, as it refuses to play well with others! For all the kumbaya singing in the "Marriage of Windows and Linux" thread, there is no marriage, there is no kumbaya. Windows is only in the embrace mode of their overall strategy of "embrace, extend, and extinguish."

First they embrace an existing technology. Everybody sing kumbaya! Then they extend the technology so their version does things the others don't, breaking the Internet in the case of Internet Exploder. Suddenly the technology only works on Microsoft stuff and that extinguishes the originators of the technology. But note that didn't work with IE. It also won't work with Linux. We know full well who we don't deal with. They can pretend to embrace us all they want but it's a sham and they know it.

So on your own computer, it is best to quarantine Windows onto a hard drive all to itself. Boot the Linux disk. Let Linux give you the choice of running Windows or Linux. That leaves Windows a victim of its own shortsighted policy of not playing well with others and it is blind to the fact that Linux exists on your machine.

But your second question is the absolute best that could be asked! Did you know that the vast majority of websites you access are being hosted on a Linux server? That includes Steam, Photobucket, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Subsim were hosted on a Linux machine. The Internet could not give a rip what operating system you use.

Even Silent Hunter 4 doesn't care what operating system you use. Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition is being created on my Linux computer. Other team members have Windows computers. Their work can be loaded on my machine, I can compile the mod, 7zip it and post it and every Windows machine runs the mod just fine.

Take it another step. Many programs: Firefox, Chrome and Chromium, Thunderbird, Inkscape, Keepass, Open Office, Libre Office and many others actually came from Linux. Linux is their home. Windows is a place they visit. This post comes from Firefox on Ubuntu 16.04. Everything I do is identical to what I do with Firefox in Windows. THERE IS NO LEARNING CURVE. It does run considerably faster in Linux than it does in Windows. Ubuntu takes no clock cycles serving me advertisements or collecting, encoding and sending my information to Microsoft.

Is it perfect? Heck no. But it does recognize that my computer is my property and that I use Linux because it serves my needs. Therefore Linux respects my status as in charge of my property and exists to serve me. And not for lunch, as Microsoft defines serving.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote