View Single Post
Old 10-04-16, 05:13 AM   #34
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post

P.S. I forgot to mention this but, LINUX is the Kernel, it is the "Command Line". The GUI is built on top of that, so unless the 'Desktop' has gone through and made a Graphical interface for each and every program running on Linux, then some things will REQUIRE the use of the CL.
Depending on how they interface with the desktop and program, they might not work with all desktops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I just would wish that after two decades any Linux GUI finally would decide to go all the way instead of stoppig halfway, turn to the side and disappear between the bushes and trees, leaving the ordinary user behind and alone.

Cinnamon/Mint is probably the most advanced GUI for Linux - but even this can have you ending up with a need to face Terminal quite easily.
Skybird,

I can sympathize with your feelings on this, however I feel I should bring something to your attention.

In Linux, work is never duplicated. You do not need to re-code something that has already been coded.

Think of it similar to Windows using dotnet, for example.
Let's take S3D as our example program. In order to run S3D, we need to have dotnet 2.0 installed. Why? Because some of the code necessary to allow S3D to do what it does, is contained in dotnet, and this is referenced by S3D.

This allows S3D, and other programs to all access the same "code" and therefore be smaller.
Let's assume we make some new mod tools for the SH series.
We will call them:
Silent Hunter Editor, "SH-E" for Silent Hunter,
SH-E2, for Silent Hunter 2,
and so-on and so forth, so we have SH-E, SH-E2, SH-E3, SH-E4, and lastly, SH-E5.

Now if we assume that the base code is 10MB, and the databases for each game is 10MB, and the graphical interface is 5MB each.

Then each editor comes to 25MB. If we have all 5 installed, then we have 125MB of hard drive space used...

Now if we use a common "base", 10MB, and we use a common graphical interface, which includes all variations, it would be larger, about 7.5MB.

So to RUN, and USE, the editors, we have only used 17.5MB of space on the drive.
Now we have 50MB of database files, 10 for each of the 5 editors.

10MB base files,
7.5MB GUI files,
+50MB database files,
67.5MB total.

So we have just saved 57.5MB of hard drive space by NOT duplicating work.
This is what Linux does from the kernel all the way down to the widgets on your desktop telling you how much RAM you have used.

This is why MANY things in Linux do not have a GUI version. At most it will be a Graphical "front-end" for the non-graphical "back-end" program.

Check the update/install program for your distro, it probably has graphical interfaces for command line programs. Fedora has MANY of them listed. I'm sure Ubuntu/Mint will as well.

One of my biggest complaints with all windows versions, was that for a little bit of "polish" the install size jumped, for example 300MB for Win98, to ~2GB for WinXP.

When you install a new program from the package manager (forget what it is in Cinamon), notice that it tells you what "dependancies" that the program has. And asks for permission to install these.
The 'dependancies' are because the program lacks the data.

Best example I can give is this: I installed a server version of Fedora 24. No GUI, but I needed to keep the RAID 0 intact so I could copy the files to another drive.
so I installed KDE, and then tried to run it.
This FAILED MISERABLY.
Why? Because I forgot to install "X" so KDE has something to actually draw the GUI with.

This is why RR mentioned in one of the threads around here, that in a few seconds he can swap desktops.

"X" takes care of the "how to draw", the desktop takes care of the "what to draw".
No duplicating. Much less "mess".

Barracuda

P.S. As far as the need to be an expert on using Linux... Look at the bright side, learning new things help keep "some-timers" from turning into "old-timers" and eventually "all-timers"!

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 10-04-16 at 05:41 AM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote