Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
When I try to install the RPMforge repository

Code:
rpm -Uvh http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
I am getting this error
Code:
curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
error: skipping http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm - transfer failed
What do I need to do, Steve?
Hey Neal, I missed your post! Sorry.

Looks like you're using a Red Hat derivative like Fedora. I'm not an expert on that. Ubuntu has all that preinstalled and you just run it. Actually, it runs itself on startup and offers to update everything on your machine. Commander Wallace is our Fedora expert.

Once FOTRS Ultimate Edition has left the nest and we're just working on plugins, I look forward to doing a thread with Commander Wallace and others on a "Get acquainted with Linux" thread.

Seems like there should be a way to use the GUI, but one of the reasons I'm not using Fedora is that they're still stuck on the computer geek position that if you can't use the command line you don't deserve to use Linux. Ubuntu is much more GUI oriented. You CAN use the terminal but almost always have the opportunity to use a GUI solution.

To be fair, there is much in Windows that you must use a command window to accomplish. Even something so simple as copying a directory tree that has 10 layers and a couple hundred files can be copied three to ten times quicker in the command window using xcopy than it can in Windows Explorer, which totally chokes on the job.

Commander Wallace is your Fedora expert. When you see .rpm repository, that means a Red Hat derivative Linux distribution. I personally wouldn't recommend that for a person fresh from Windows. But that could be just because I'm not too familiar with it.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote