View Single Post
Old 08-19-16, 06:00 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Seems I can get a good deal for an Asus N752VX, and I am tempted to take it.

Its a i7-6700HQ, 8 GB or more, 2 HD slots, said to have very excellent Bose soundsystem loudspeakers and excellent full HD display of very high quality and 1980x1050 resolution. Video is an Intel HD530 and an nVidia 950M.

That is technically probably a bit overkill for my needs, but I may want to try out VM or Wine for earlier described purposes, also, this will be my everyday surfing and "working" platform, so regarding multimedia:

to have good sound,

and regarding the many hours I will stare at the display: to have a good display indeed, probably are no wrong investments.

I occasionally do video editing (animated and FX enhanced photo shows), which i have not explored on Linux so far, but will do so: for that to have some tech resources in the backhand cannot be wrong, too. Battery is said to be a bit short on legs for a 17", short of 4 hours in idle, 1 hour under stress in maximum lit display condition, but I do not depend on mobility with this, it is to replace my desktop mainstation. Its not a gaming platform, despite the power of the processor, but gaming is not my primary use for this anyway. I want hassle-free, reliable everyday performance and multimedia experience, without waiting pauses or stutterings, and this one seems to stay also quite silent even under stress, and stays cool, not warming much.

Plus that thing is flat and looks really cool, me thinks. Price would be a bit steep, 1200, but I can get a deal with almost 150 bucks off. I think I seal this deal.

Preinstalled with Mint 18 Cinnamon. I am tempted to replace the secondary HD with a secondary SSD, the first slot already is an SSD, too. Or I leave that, to see whether I need it, I can add or make changes later on.

Opinions? Good deal, or waste of money?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-N7....161407.0.html

Mind you, I want a notebook that demonstrates its technical compatability with Linux Mint by having it preinstalled as a standard, that rules out many other Linux devices available in Germany from Lenovo, Tuxedo and the likes, since they are limited to Ubuntu and its strain (you probably can install Mint manually on them, but who tells me the thing is fully compatible with Mint?). There probably are even better deals to get - but show me that they are for Mint.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-19-16 at 06:25 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote