Old 08-07-16, 09:15 PM   #1837
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Default re: Jutland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Hey IABL out of curiosity are you going for RSRDC levels of accuracy when it comes to the naval battles that take place? For example if I watch the Jutland battle will the same number of ships that historically were in the fleets be there or less?
Hmmm.....How to handle Jutland? The $64 million question.....

All I can say is, Jutland will be there and there will be MAJOR compromises. Do not expect every ship class to be there. And do not expect every individual ship to be there.

Some ships are low priority for modeling. Common ships like the "M" class destroyers (over 100 units built, and also useful for random encounter spawnings) are a much higher priority; whenever possible, "M" class ships like "Mary Rose" that were at Jutland will be in their historical positions.

And IIRC there were well over 200 ships involved - to avoid crashes and freezing, I will eliminate ships that were on the unengaged wings of the battle and fired few or no shots.

For instance, the 2nd Cruiser Squadron will probably not be modeled in Jutland because it was screening Jellicoe's unengaged side, and neither lost nor sank any ships.....That way I don't have to include "Shannon", "Hampshire", "Minotaur", "Cochrane", etc. I know it means fewer targets for the player, but WOTK's main goal is simulating the tonnage war. Not letting you "camp" famous surface actions.

You WILL probably see major events take place:

1) -Battlecruiser duel ("Mary" & "Indy" R.I.P. )

2) -Jellicoe deploys; main fleet action begins

3) -1st Cruiser Squadron destroyed ("Defence" explodes, "Warrior" & "Black Prince" crippled)

4) -Scheer turns away from the Brits; Jellicoe evades torpedo attack

5) -Night action ("Pommern", "Tipperary" sunk, German fleet escapes)

I am thinking about "scripting in" special models of destroyed ships, such as "Queen Mary", etc exploding for the early phase of the battle. It's all simple; just attaching particle effects in S3editor using the same principle as for funnel smoke....except instead, the particles will represent a battlecruiser blowing up.

("Queen Mary" explodes, killing over 1,200 men)
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote