View Single Post
Old 07-01-16, 11:15 AM   #14
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

My "original" purchase of Silent Hunter 4 was a DVD that I got just after it initially came out. There is no notation on the packaging or disk as to which version it is. I do remember looking at it in the software, but can't recall what it is (1.02??). I have encountered the SecureRom stuff multiple times with it, but what I've done before is, after installing from the DVD (NOT in the Programs directory), I do not attempt to open the game and play. I re-boot the computer and then "patch" it to v1.4 (downloaded from Ubi). I put a copy of JSGME and Multi-SH in the folder, and then copy that patched version to another location for backup. Rockin Robbins even mentions setting the entire directory to "read only" for safekeeping. I will also copy the directory again to another location, rename said directory, and then bring it back into the Ubisoft directory. I end up with something like "C:\Ubisoft\SH4v14" and "C:\Ubisoft\SH4v15" that will be the two "base" versions. I then apply my Uboat Missions Add-on to the copy in the "SH4v15" directory. I think I purchased my download from Ubisoft.

Now is when I try to "play" the "upgraded" v1.5 game for the first time. If I am remembering correctly, I will get a pop-up box that asks me a question about loading something... ratz, I had what it was last night before I slept... someone else will have to answer that. But anyway, if I tell it no, don't load it, it tries to load the game and that's when I get the SecureRom stuff with the Uboat add-on. If I answer in the affirmative to the pop-up, it will then bring up the input pop-up for the Uboat Add-on Serial Number. Once I've done that, I'm good to go. It then loads SH4 v1.5. I will then copy that elsewhere for modding and playing, etc.

I ended up buying a Gold Edition SH4 a while back, when after a re-install of my original SH4, I couldn't find my email with the serial number for the Uboat Add-on. I found it, of course, after the new disk arrived... - Like I said, I now have two computers running SH4, and there's all sorts of fun you can have like that.

Sorry about the rambliong on. Too much coffee this morning...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote