View Single Post
Old 05-10-16, 02:26 PM   #1518
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

10th May 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: French success at Mort Homme and Hill 287.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Russians occupy Kasr-i-Shirin on road to Baghdad.

Sir J. Nixon's despatch of 17 January 1916 (October 1915 to 13 January 1916), published.

Naval and Overseas Operations

German attack repulsed near Kondoa Irangi (German East Africa).

Germany admits it sunk the Channel steamer Sussex and offers to pay the U.S. an indemnity.

Russian Som-class submarine accidentally collides with the Swedish ship Angermanland and sinks. 18 crewmen are killed.

Political, etc.

Commission appointed to enquire into causes of the Irish rebellion.

Lord Wimborne resigns Lord-Lieutenancy of Ireland due to the Easter Rising (he is later reappointed).

Mr. Hughes speaks in London.

Herbert Samuel, Sec. for Home Affairs, reveals that authorities found a German saloon in the heart of London & interned the men involved.

German casualties since the beginning of the war are now 2,822,079 men killed, wounded, captured, or missing.

Ship Losses:

Dolcoath (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 7 (Georg Haag) and sank in the North Sea 3.25 nautical miles (6.02 km) north north east of North Foreland, Kent with the loss of a crew member.
Panther (United Kingdom) The ketch was driven ashore at Hunstanton, Norfolk and was wrecked. Her crew were rescued.
Pursuit (United Kingdom) The schooner sprang a leak in The Wash and was beached at Hunstanton. Her crew were rescued by the Hunstanton Lifeboat.
Som (Imperial Russian Navy) The Som-class submarine accidentally collided with Ångermanland ( Sweden) and sank in the Sea of Åland, in the area between the island of Arholma and Svartklubben lighthouse. 18 crew were killed in the incident. The discovery of a submarine wreck off the coast of Sweden in 2015, was confirmed by the Swedish Armed Forces in July of that year to in all likelihood be that of Som.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote