Old 04-27-16, 06:06 PM   #1750
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery View Post
Hi again folks.

Good to see a WW1 U-boat mod in the works.

I just wandered by because I'm trying to find some images of WW1 german U-boat torpedoes for a boardgame project I'm working on (I still haven't recovered enough from my wife losing her job in 2008 to get a decent computer, so it's cardboard and dice for me right now).

Anyway, does anyone know what the C35/91, C/06 and G/6 torpedoes looked like? I've been scouring the web and can't find a damned thing. So far, I've taken a stab at creating an image for these three, but it's mostly based on guesswork. I know based on Schwieger's attack on the Lusitania that the older torpedoes (presumably the C35/91s) were referred to as "bronze" torpedoes, so I'm guessing the later ones were steel(?):

Attachment 1939
WOW!!! Great to hear from a simulation legend again - Hi Beery! I was a huge fan of your Red Baron 3d and Silent Hunter work.

I dug through my images and found what I could; not much but I hope it helps. Note my comments:

1) Red-nosed torpedo confirmed to be a World War I G/6. This was the only positive ID I could obtain...sorry about the "dramatic" view.

2) Torpedoes on a U-63 Class submarine. I suspect these blueprints depict the G/6:

-The U-63 Class was modern in 1916, and I assume she and her sisters would have had priority for newer torpedoes like the G/6.

-The U-63 tubes are of the same caliber as the G/6. (50cm); I doubt the blueprint makers would have shown a new submarine carrying older, sub-caliber torpedoes. Unfortunately, because boats with 50cm torpedoes could (and did) use smaller calibres I can't make a positive ID.

3) A submarine loading torpedoes, unknown date. I suspect the torpedo is a G/6. Based on design features this is definitely a U-19, U-23, U-27,
U-31, or U-51 boat. All had 50cm TT armament.

4) A submarine loading torpedoes; date confirmed as 1918. Cannot be a C-35 according to Navweaps.com because all C-35's were expended by 1916. I suspect G/6. Could be a new G/7 but the boat is Flanders Flotilla; I strongly suspect big ocean-going attack boats would have had priority for the G/7 torpedoes...Flanders Flotilla was mostly smaller U-Boats and minelaying boats.

Unfortunately I could find no pictures of the other torpedo types. I regret that the details in the pictures may be unclear.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote