View Single Post
Old 04-27-16, 07:10 AM   #1492
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

27th April 1916

Western Front

Germans launch a gas attack near Hulluch, France, causing hundreds of British casualties. Mines are also detonated beneath British lines.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Russian progress in Bitlis district.

British occupy Moghara Oasis (90 miles south-west of Alexandria).

Naval and Overseas Operations

H.M.S. "Russell" mined in Mediterranean, 124 lost.

HMS "Nasturtium" mined in Mediterranean, 8 lost.

German submarine SM UC-5, which had sunk 29 ships, runs aground off the English coast and is captured.

Political, etc.

Martial law throughout Ireland. General Sir J. Maxwell takes command in Ireland. New Military Service Bill abandoned.

Allied commercial conference at Paris.

Ship Losses:

Industry (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 120 nautical miles (220 km) west by north of the Fastnet Rock (51°11′N 12°46′W) by SM U-45 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
HMS Nasturtium
(Royal Navy) The Arabis-class sloop struck a mine laid by U 73 (Gustav Sieß) and sank in the Mediterranean Sea off Malta with the loss of eight of her 79 crew.
HMS Russell (Royal Navy) The Duncan-class battleship struck two mines laid by U 73 (Gustav Sieß) and sank in the Mediterranean Sea at Malta with the loss of 124 of her 720 crew.
SM UC-5 (Kaiserliche Marine) The Type UC I submarine ran aground in the North Sea (51°59′N 1°38′E) and was scuttled. Her crew were rescued by HMS Firedrake ( Royal Navy). She was subsequently salvaged by the British and used for propaganda purposes.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote