View Single Post
Old 12-01-15, 06:46 AM   #1602
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

In terms of completion, it's like an exponential thing. With this mod, you make very slow progress at the outset....then, you reach a critical mass of progress and things start falling into place quickly. I'd estimate I'm at the start of the "critical mass" phase - The U-87, for instance, is virtually complete externally, and it will be the basis for most other submarines of similar size. For a long time I was struggling with crew uniforms...now that phase is basically complete. So things are picking up speed.

Apologies for no environmental screenshots but I was busy tweaking the files all night - this is extremely addictive. And I'd rather have a better ocean environment than just post screens when it's not quite ready....they will be posted ASAP as long as pictures of new ships/submarines.

I have learned a tremendous amount about modding the game recently and had a lot of fun. The amazing thing is just how much room there is for improvement in SH4 if you just think outside the box a little.

Again, I want this mod to be a transformative experience - recreating the world as it was at the beginning of the 20th Century...not just throwing in a few WWI models in a Pacific WWII simulator. I want to alter MANY things to conform to the Atlantic circa 1900-1918:

-Submarine and Ships (obviously)
-WWI weaponry
-Completely new Award System
-Collectible items, linked to Award System
-Promotions
-Minor role playing elements
-Crew specialization/fatigue rates
-Menu Artwork
-Music
-Human Figures ashore and at sea
-New behavior, animations, and injuries for crewmen on AI ships
-Atlantic Maritime Environment/ocean & sky textures
-Maritime ambience
-Navigational aids
-Destructible Harbors/Buildings
-Marine life/biological units
-[Possibly] Interiors for subs
-Dynamic campaign with scripted important events (Jutland, Gallipoli, etc)
-Ship Routing
-Accurate convoy sizing
-Prize warfare

All of the above is doable, based on my experiments so far. I spend hours and hours in S3ditor, "probing" the game for its secrets to see what can be done....again, I am amazed at its potential.

Moreover, I want to add lots of little touches to the Nautical and land environment to make SH4 more of a sailing simulator and exploration game....not just blowing up ships in PatrolZone X (although combat is important). I want people to have fun exploring their sub and transitioning to/from the patrol area, in the midst of an accurate 1914-1918 environment with friends/enemies/neutrals going about their business. People should say "wow! I didn't expect him to include THAT!" This is intended to be a total conversion mod....sending the player back in time is my goal!

Last edited by iambecomelife; 12-01-15 at 06:51 AM.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote