View Single Post
Old 11-16-15, 12:54 AM   #1589
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Did Herr Groner confuse .37 mm with .31 in. !??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt View Post
37mm deck gun?
Impossible; the 37mm rapid-fire deck gun was an Austro-Hungarian and bulgarian weapon, not german. the german ships used the 8mm machine gun.
but if you want I will search some images of these weapons.
One thing; if you want add a K.u.K. campaign, you have to make the UB-2 class (these boats were the most successful subs of the KuK navy); I hope the you will make more subs than those of your list.
Sorry if I seem presumptuous
PS: good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Hi; Groner's book on U-Boats says UB-14 definitely had a 37mm, so that's where I got the idea from. She operated as an Austrian sub so it may well have been an Austrian weapon. However, I have seen German (?) versions of the 37mm (as a flak gun on the Western Front).

I feel it would be good to at least give the UB-I players a chance of sinking something bigger than a rowboat with the deck gun. UB-14 had the 37mm starting in 1917, but I think I will make it available from the outset.

I made a UB-II Class sub earlier but I don't like the model anymore - it was very ugly and low poly, so if it's included it will be redone with better detail.
UB 14 aka UB-26 in the Austrian navy only had 13 man crew type UB-I coastal sub. The circular steel decking around the gun post certainly is unusual for a type UB-1 (they all (20) differed to a degree) and provides ample footing for a 'crewed gun' of some sort.
Is that not a standard 8mm (.31 in. machine gun) as on all Austrian UB-I type boats. UB-14 at Constantinople> http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/models/ships/SMS_UB_2/ (fabulous pics)"The armament of the boats was very primitive, limited to the two bow 45 centimeter C03 torpedoes (with no reloads, though some drawings seem wishful in indicating a spare being carried this just does not seem feasible) and an 8mm (.31 in.) machine gun mounted on the forward deck casing. Photographic evidence seems to suggest that some boats were later fitted with a small-bore cannon in place of the machine gun, however deck space was very limited, making a crew-served weapon very impractical." I could be wrong but there's no .37mm in the photos of UB-14 and of a limited crew of 13 essential men... who shoots a crewed gun. Is there a typo on .37mm deck gun vs .31 in. machine gun in this case by Herr Groner. some typeface ones can look like sevens??!! 1 vs 7 for example Bearing in mind that even John F. Kennedy adapted a .37 mm field gun to PT-109's fore- deck (literally the night before she was sunk-so no photo there either) compels an open mind at least! nuthin' good goes outta style BBY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote