Old 09-09-15, 08:56 AM   #2567
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobon View Post

Issues:

I start to receive ctd's after many minutes of 512 TC, or more than 64tc.
64tc seems ok, I managed to use the Kiel Harbor pilot script back to the harbor, without any ctd. So, to make sure about a long journey, I usually 512 for 1-2 minutes, then save.... Then continue. ...

ALso the game CTD's after a hour or two of normal, and half a hour spent in heavy visual places, but luckily no invalid saves, every game loads back fine.
Do you use any additional mods by any chance?

The game in general can be rather unstable in North Sea, Baltic and around British coastal waters (depending of your playing style). The probable reason for this is large number of units constantly moving in and out of your rendering area (which is quite a lot in WoS, 60Km around a sub). SH5 also have some kind of bad habit to "accumulate" objects rendered in your area, and when "accumulation" reaches certain threshold, the game will "run home to mama".
I call this type of CTD's SSC (Standard SH CTD ).
The good thing is that one can easily prevent SSC () by doing occasional game restart from time to time and/or by limiting duration of playing sessions.

For example, I will experience SSC in mentioned areas but extremely rarely because my playing sessions are max ~48h of sim time and I also like to make a break after some actions (convoy/ship attacks act).
The key for relatively stable gameplay is simply occasional gamesave/restart of the game.
It is also highly recommended to save and restart your game when you expecting appearance of large number of units/objects in your rendering area (like approaching enemy coastline, shipping line, or returning to your home port). This will effectively "unburden" game engine and enable afterwards even longer playing session if there isnt's to much "action" around you...

At open ocean however my playing sessions can last for several days without any problems, but when I eventually find something and do the attack, when things get quiet, I always save my game and continue next day...

In short, if you fail to save/restart your game and unburden game engine occasionally, the game will do it for you (aka CTD)...

In addition to all this, you can also disable patch for "Increased rendering distance" and/or try to limit your TC to 256 while in "dense" waters. . I never use 512 TC while near coastal waters (but again, my PC is rather old).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobon View Post
A LAST, MAYBE IMPORTANT PART:

Since I am very dissatisfied with the stock game's ship log, and decoration methods, (no ceremony, nor mentioning it at all, in the patrol log, it just sneaks into your medal case. The ship log is half broken, and very dry, like a tweet page, etc.)

I maybe start to make an SH Commander-like windows application
, just simplier... For starters, if I do it, it's going to be for WOS only, but if all the files the same, it maybe goes with stock.
This sounds sooo awesome!

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-09-15 at 02:03 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote