View Single Post
Old 09-02-15, 07:59 AM   #314
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Spreads. Yeah, we know the principle: distribute torpedoes over the length of the target so no two torpedoes hit in the same place. But if you're stadimeter targeting you can shoot four torpedoes and if your solution is correct all five will hit the exact same spot! That's not so good, especially if you're using a realistic sinking mod.

So some of us tweak the spread dial. But we do it seat of the pants. Sure we hit targets, and miss them. On an upcoming video I'll be extending the still unmade Stadimeter Targeting Video to cover how we, who lack the spread tools the real guys used, might go about calculating a spread in our heads (no calculators, no trig, no outside computer activity--you know (or don't know) how I feel about those things) so that we know our torpedoes will hit.

The real submariners calculated spread with tool built into the TDC (which, of course we don't have). What they call a 100% spread would hit the tip of the bow, points in between, and the tip of the stern. In other words the pattern would cover the length of the target.

If they weren't quite happy with their solution they would cover their bets with a deal with the devil: a spread of more than 100%. In other words, the distance between first and last shot was longer than the target. Yes, that guaranteed at least one miss, but it also would hit if the target were a little further away or moving slower or faster than their settings.

How are we going to do all that? Stay tuned! Then I bet ColonelSandersLite comes out with the precise, mathematically refined, version. Mine will be based on that but in my cheap, dirty, rule of thumb, figure on the fly style.

This is a different kind of spread than the Dick O'Kane or other constant bearing shooting techniques. They use what is called a longitudinal spread, where all torpedoes follow the exact same course to the target. It is the timing of the individual shots that determine where on the target they hit. With your shoot bearing selected properly in a constant bearing attack, your torpedoes will hit exactly where your crosshair aims when you push the fire button.

The stadimeter spread system is more complicated but, as you'll see, has some interesting wrinkles too.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-02-15 at 08:06 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote