View Single Post
Old 06-26-15, 08:27 PM   #126
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Sad. I draw the line at trying to erase or bury history. While I still think there's something very odd about flying a rebel flag from a government building, so it seems to make sense to me to take it down from an official display, but it's hard for me to get worked up over a coffee cup with a Confederate battle flag on it, or a privately sponsored Confederate monument. I feel even more nervous about efforts to purge unpopular symbols than I feel about the symbols themselves. They're part of history. The men who fought for the Confederacy fought for slavery, sort of, but for the most part they fought because it was their state. It was their home town, or maybe as was quoted in the movie, Gettysburg because they were bored at home and it looked like fun.

Come to think of it, I wonder if someone have to go through the CDs at the Gettysburg Battlefield gift shop and get rid of "Dixie" or "The Bonnie Blue Flag". And what about "Marching Through Georgia? It seems like we always go to far in the other direction in this country when we make a course change.

Abraham Lincoln famously said, "Let the band play Dixie". In somewhat the same spirit, I say let Southerners put that flag on a coffee cup. It just isn't as big a deal as getting it off a government building.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote