View Single Post
Old 06-15-15, 11:46 AM   #4902
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0

Back in the saddle (or on the deck?) after a long time, started a new career, and here's what I got so far.

First off, patrolling grid AN16 off of Scapa Flow in early 1940. I just received my new U-boat, a Type VIIC that, for some unknown reason, retains the title of U-1, my Type IIA.

Anyhow, we finish our mission, having only sunk a Coastal Merchant and a C3 cargo. I decide to go take a stab at the harbor defenses. As we approach on the surface (it's about 0000 hours), we spot a V&W class coming up on our port side. We dive, he passes, and we eventually resurface. Later, we run by a C&D destroyer, who just so happens to pass into our stern firing arc.

Well, I think every destroyer captain in Scapa was having none of that. But I never was pinged once. I took out all of the destroyers as they began to leave only minutes after arriving on scene, then snuck into Scapa, unsure of more defenders, only to find it completely empty.

More recently, I had a monster patrol. Now based out of St. Nazaire as part of the 7th Flotilla, we were given orders for AM14, north of the Rockall Banks. It is mid-'41, right there in the Happy Time.

Boy was I happy. Ran into 5 large lone merchants, all of whom were put under with either surface action or torpedoes. Then, as we moved our reserves in as we passed the southern tip of Ireland, we ran into a convoy, no warning.

Having no torpedoes in the tubes and only 89 rounds of 8.8cm HE left really could not be more inconvenient. This convoy was MASSIVE, easily 10 ships by 6 rows, only guarded by an ASW trawler, which we sank with gunfire (risky, but worth it).

Promptly picking the largest targets we could find (a T3 and an intermediate tanker), we matched our speed with the convoy, reported it, and opened fire as every hand we could spare reloaded the tubes. The gramophone was playing Westerwaldlied (one of my favorites) and we finally managed to sink our targets and damage a couple others with the Flakzwilling.

Came out of that one with over 53000 tons of shipping sunk, 2 Iron Cross Second Classes, one First Class, 10 U-boat Front Clasps, 2 U-boat War Badges, a promotion, and for me, a promotion to Lt. Sr.

And my love was rekindled.

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote