Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

7th June 1915

Western Front

French offensive near Hebuterne.

French progress north of Africa.

Repeated German counter-attacks repulsed north of the Aisne.

Aviation

Flight Sub-Lieutenant Warneford destroys a Zeppelin LZ 37 between Ghent and Brussels and is awarded the Victoria Cross.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qb4mm
Quote:
No. 1 Naval Aeroplane Squadron, 8th June 1915, official report by Flight Sub-Lieutenant Reginald Warneford
I left Furnes at 1:00 am on 7th June 1915 on Morane No. 3253 under orders to look for Zeppelins and attack the Berchem St Agathe Airship Shed with six 20 lb bombs.
On arriving at Dixmude at 1:15 am, I observed a Zeppelin apparently over Ostend and proceeded in chase of the same. I arrived at close quarters a few miles past Bruges at 1:50 am and the Airship opened heavy maxim fire, so I retreated to gain height and the Airship turned and followed me.

At 2:15 am it stopped firing and 2:25 am I came behind, but well above the Zeppelin; height then 11,000 feet, and switched off my engine to descend on top of him. When close above him at 7,000 feet altitude I dropped my bombs, and, whilst relasing the last, there was an explosition which lifted my machine and turned it over. The aeroplane was out of control for a short period, went into a nose dive, but control was regained. I then saw the Zeppelin was on the ground in flames.

The joint on my petrol pipe and pump from the back tank was broken and at about 2:40 am I was forced to land in enemy territory to repair my pump. I made preparations to set the machine on fire, but was not observed, so was able to effect a repair of the aircraft and after considerable difficulty in starting my engine single handed, was able to take off and head in a South Westerly direction.

I tried several times to find my whereabouts but was unable to do so, so I eventually landed and discovered I was at Cape Gris Nez, where I was given petrol by French soldiers. When the weather cleared I was able to proceed and arrived back at my Aerodrome about 10:30 am.
Quote:
For the award of the Victoria Cross.

[ London Gazette, 11 June 1915 ], Over Ghent, Belgium, 7 June 1915, Flight Sub-Lieutenant Reginald Alexander John Warneford, Royal Navy ( 1 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service ).

For most conspicuous bravery on the 7th June 1915, when he attacked and, single-handed, completely destroyed a Zeppelin in mid-air.
This brilliant achievement was accomplished after chasing the Zeppelin from the coast of Flanders to Ghent, where he succeeded in dropping his bombs on to it from a height of only one or two hundred feet. One of these bombs caused a terrific explosion which set the Zeppelin on fire from end to end, but at the same time overturned his Aeroplane and stopped the engine.

In spite of this he succeeded in landing safely in hostile country, and after 15 minutes started his engine and returned to his base without damage.

Naval

German Minefield - Auxiliary minelayer Meteor laid large minefields on the 7th/8th along the North Russian Murman coast at the entrance to the White Sea to interrupt the flow of munitions to, and cargoes from Russia. SS Arndale was the first ship sunk; three more went down in the same month. Six Lowestoft minesweeping trawlers arrived in July to sweep them, and continued until November

Zeppelin Airwar - RNAS aircraft of No.1 Sqdn bombed and destroyed Army airship LZ.38 (Production No. LZ.38) in her shed at Bruxelles Evere, Belgium; Victoria Cross - Flight Sub Lt Reginald Alexander John Warneford RNAS (also No.1 Sqdn), destroyed German Zeppelin LZ.37 (Production No. LZ.37) in the air near Ghent, Belgium. He was killed in a plane crash ten days later

Orkneys
Duke of Albany, Admiralty armed boarding vessel, 1,997/1907, hired 30/10/14, returning to Scapa in thick fog. Grounded on Lother Rock in the Pentland Firth at 0400, refloated with considerable damage seven days later.

Political etc.

U.S. Ambassador Page presents King George a medal cast in New Orleans to celebrate 100 years of peace between the U.S. and Britain.

British Coalition Cabinet agrees to pool their salaries to promote more unity between the ministers. Average salary is £4246 a year.

Ship Losses:

Djeyhun ( Ottoman Empire): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Sea of Marmara off Nagara Point, Turkey by HMS E11 ( Royal Navy).
Glittertind ( Norway): The coaster was sunk in the North Sea 28 nautical miles (52 km) off Whitby, Yorkshire, United Kingdom (58°55′N 0°10′E) by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Menapier ( Belgium): The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 2 nmi (3.7 km) off the Tongue Lightship ( United Kingdom) (51°28′05″N 1°35′15″E) by SM UB-10 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of seventeen crew.
Nottingham ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 70 nautical miles (130 km) north east of Spurn Point, Yorkshire by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew were rescued by the trawler Onward ( United Kingdom).
Pentland ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 75 nautical miles (139 km) east north east of Hornsea, Yorkshire by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Saturn ( United Kingdom): The trawler was shelled and sunk in the North Sea 86 nautical miles (159 km) north east of Spurn Point by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Superb ( Norway): The barque was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 50 nautical miles (93 km) west of the Fastnet Rock (51°15′N 10°45′W) by SM U-34 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Trudvang ( Norway): The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 64 nautical miles (119 km) south west by west of the smalls Lighthouse (51°08′N 6°45′W) by SM U-35 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Velocity ( United Kingdom): The trawler was sunk in the North Sea 75 nautical miles (139 km) north east of Spurn Point by SM U-25 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote