View Single Post
Old 06-04-15, 02:26 PM   #4893
Farflung Wanderer
Watch

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

Patrol 2 for Lt. Jr. Theodor Lawrenz, commander of the U-18. Attached to U-Flotilla Weddigen, based in Wilhelmshaven, Germany.

01 October 1939
2000h: Reported in to fleet. Grid AN81, full load of torpedoes. While some ships are to be moving into our grid, we haven't seen them yet. Should they come across us, we will do our best to engage them.

02 October 1939
1338h: Reported to fleet that our 24 hour patrol has finished uneventfully. Hopefully we shall receive new patrol orders shortly.

1526h: I just finished a meeting with the senior staff. The higher-ups want us to "be more aggressive", so that we shall do. The port of Southend is rather nearby, at grid AN79. I will take U-18 to prowl around that area and engage any shipping that attempts to leave. Given how dangerous this will be, we shall remain underwater for most of our time there. Once we use up all of our torpedoes or sink three ships, we shall return to port.

2000h: Reported back to fleet, let them know of our plans. We are currently in grid AN84, and will be at AN79 in about seven hours. It might still be dark out by the time we get there; all the better for us.

2205h: Ship spotted heading NE. U-18 turning to engage. Night is clear and waters are still. This is not great hunting weather, but if it is the conditions we must deal with, so be it.

03 October 1939
0019h: I can only assume that the British ship snuck past us during the night, for we have seen nothing of it. I am returning us back on course. By the time we get there, it will be much lighter out, which is frustrating, but there is nothing that can be done. Hopefully we shall have better hunting today.
Farflung Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote