View Single Post
Old 05-23-15, 08:27 PM   #30
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Johnson View Post
I may have mis-spoke about the unit of measure, for the Americans it was yards. But even the SH2 manual says the optimum firing range is 2000 meters or less for early war torpedoes, and I just pulled out my SH1 manual, and it says 500 to 1000 yds was the preferred shooting distance. 500 to 750 ft is way too close. You never want to get that close to a DD. The torpedo wouldn't even have a chance to get to it's set running depth (should the game actually be that detailed. You must mean yards. .....
The main thing is to fire close to the DD if you're going to fire at one at all so he doesn't have time to react. Down the throat shots at 600 - 650yds with a zero gyro is about the only other way I could do it in PA. If I could get them to approach from 180d as a group in SH1 they would be easy to pick off with torpedoes or the deck gun at night; typically ports would only have 1 - 3 DD's.

None of this was realistic and I wouldn't try it in real life. I haven't wasted my torpedoes on DD's in SH1, SH2/PA, or SH4 while on patrol for years, not enough tonnage and not 'true-to-life'.

You're right, I meant yards - approx 600 of them.... lol
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote