View Single Post
Old 03-13-15, 11:37 AM   #1
rainChu
Nub

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default I can operate the game. Now how do I operate a sub?

First of all, hello everybody! I joined quite a while ago, the last time I got in the mood to try a Sub sim (Silent Hunter II). I have this problem, which I've been too shy to talk of, which is why I didn't post this question the last time I was here.

I have Silent Hunter I, I had it as a kid, and I played it a lot, just messing around with the deck gun and stuff. But, I want to now play it properly, through the campaign, to see what I was missing all those years ago.

I tried playing this kind of game more recently, as I said before, but I keep getting flummoxed by an important point: How do I win a battle? What strategies should I take?

Let me say this: I want to learn on a high difficulty. I don't want to play on easy mode, no matter how many times I fail, as long as I eventually prevail. I enjoy learning things without crutches. But, I couldn't do this before- to play the way I like to play- because the game's manual doesn't seem to cover battle strategies. I had to play on easy because I didn't know how to even get started. The wins came too readily and they felt empty, and I had to give up. On harder modes, I couldn't win at all. Not once.

These are a few of the questions I'd really like answered:
  • When do I dive/surface? Should I remain under for as long as possible and only surface when I must, or dive when I get a sighting?
  • When do I fire a torpedo? I have the game manual, which covers manual operation of the TDC in SH I, which I would like to learn myself (My accuracy with it manually is pretty terrible, but I have the basics down), but what's a good range to fire from? And when do I resort to the deck guns?
  • What's the best way to avoid enemy pursual? And enemy fire/depth charges? How should I avoid enemy sonar?
  • How should my strategy change as technology advances?

My goal is to head into the Career mode and do the story missions provided, on the game's "realistic" difficulty, which has all the handicaps turned off. I don't mind repeating missions over if I lose them, I enjoy the fulfullment of a hard-earned win. Thank you guys so much in advance for anwering any of these silly beginner's questions!
rainChu is offline   Reply With Quote