Thread: Ahoy there!
View Single Post
Old 11-23-14, 06:01 AM   #1
Thinly Sliced Ham
Swabbie

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Ahoy there!

Occasional SUBSIM lurker here, finally taking the plunge to registration.

I was fascinated (and overwhelmed) by subsims back in the day. I'd like to share the story of my return to the genre.

I stumbled across a picture of the con from 688 Attack Sub yesterday and was overwhelmed by nostalgia. Curious to see if this sort of game still existed, I began poking around the internet and quickly found Dangerous Waters on steam for 3 bucks. After a brief battle with international stupidity (I work in Japan, and had to trick steam to let me pay in USD) I was ready to start learning the game.

I read/watched a number of tutorials, and set up a practice mission with an (alleged) target dummy Kirov.

I went through a few clumsy maneuvers started cavitating. I soon noticed that the Kirov had dispatched a helicopter to deal with me (yes, my radar mast was thrust triumphantly through the waves), and I began to hear a faint alarm sound. My sonar detected two new contacts behaving suspiciously like torpedoes, which promptly started lashing me with pings.

The torpedoes' PINGs and alarm's SQUAWKs melded together, playing a rather hideous dirge for my ill fated ship. I ordered an emergency dive, and only then did I notice that everything was shaking. As I gained in depth, the pinging became more frantic, and the shaking more intense. I slammed the rudder to port, praying for the best.

The alarm stopped.

The shaking stopped.

Had I done it? Would we live to fight anoth--KABOOM!--Nope. Torpedoed to death horribly (and justly).

I took off my headphones and realized that the shaking sensation and alarm had NOT been caused by the game, but rather a minor earthquake which coincided nearly perfectly with the Kirov's attack on my sub.

Yep, I'm hooked.
Thinly Sliced Ham is offline   Reply With Quote