Old 09-03-14, 05:22 AM   #190
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

3rd September

Western Front

Germans evacuate Lille.

At Senlis, near Paris, French composer Magnard is killed in his burning house after shooting two German cavalrymen

German cavalry reaches Ecouen, only eight miles from Paris

A French Cavalry Corps is organized to protect the left flank of the French 5th Army, exposed by the rapid retreat of the BEF

The main bodies of the BEF and 5th Army retreat over the Marne

Joffre sacks the overwhelmed Lanrezac, replacing him with the tough, energetic d’Esperey as 5th Army commander - d’Esperey tells a reluctant corps commander “There is to be no more discussion. You will march; march or drop dead.”

Kluck’s German 1st Army reaches and begins to cross the Marne: they occupy line Ville sur Tourbe-River Suippe-Chateau Thierry.

Reims is abandoned by the French as an open city and is occupied by Bülow’s 2nd Army

Rupprecht’s German 6th Army launches a renewed offensive on the Moselle in Lorraine

Gallieni publicly proclaims that he will defend Paris “to the end.”

Gallieni learns that the German Army is turning away from Paris and he makes plans to attack its exposed flank, conferring with his Chief of Staff.

Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade, the first mechanized unit of the British Army, is formed.

Eastern Front

Lemberg, capital of Galicia, occupied by the Russians, who capture much booty.

In the Baltic Sea, the Russians began fortifying the Aaland Islands and Moon Sound, stationing torpedo boats and submarines in those areas, while simultaneously increasing the guard on the critical Irben Straits.

Political, etc.

Woodrow Wilson announces he will run for a second term as President of the United States.

French Government inform united States Government that they will observe "Declaration of London" subject to certain modifications.

The Paris Bourse closes

Rome: election of Pope Benedict XV.

Albania: Prince Wilhelm of Wied leaves Albania.

Naval and Overseas Operations:

H.M.S. "Speedy" destroyed by a mine: SPEEDY, minesweeper, ex-Alarm-class torpedo gunboat, 810t, 1893, 1 or 2-4.7in/4-3pdr/3-18in tt, 19kts, c90 crew, converted to minesweeper 1909, retained guns, fitted with kite winch & gallows on quarterdeck, Lieutenant Commander Edward Miller Rutherfoord. Rescuing Lindsell's survivors, but mined herself. Whole of after part blown off including rudder and propellers, flooded and sank an hour later, 30 miles off the Humber (dx - 12 miles NNE of Outer Dowsing LV; wi - in 53.34N, 00.10E); 1 rating lost.

Ship Losses:

HMT Lindsell ( Royal Navy): The naval trawler struck a mine and sank in the North Sea with the loss of five of her crew. Survivors were rescued by HMS Speedy ( Royal Navy).
Maple Branch ( United Kingdom): The cargo ship was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean 250 nautical miles (460 km) south west of the St. Paul Rocks by SMS Karlsruhe ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Shirotaye ( Imperial Japanese Navy): The Asakaze-class destroyer was wrecked in the Yellow Sea (approximately 36°00′N 120°30′E) whilst involved in a battle with SMS Jaguar ( Kaiserliche Marine.
HMS Speedy ( Royal Navy): World War I: The Alarm-class torpedo gunboat struck a mine and sank in the North Sea with the loss of one of her 91 crew.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote