View Single Post
Old 07-06-14, 01:06 AM   #219
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Politcs, death & sixgun sangfroid

1535: Sir Thomas More is executed for treason for failing to sign Henry VIII's Act of Supremacy. At one point Lord Chancellor of England: A man of character, More had charm, unfailing humor, piercing wit, and a fearlessness that enabled him to jest even on the scaffold. His Utopia (published in Latin) is a picture of an ideal state founded entirely on reason. His wit is immortal: at the scaffold he said to the attending officer: "You must help me to go up (the steps to the block) as for my coming down, I may shift for myself!" 1944: Georges Mandel, France's minister of colonies and vehement opponent of the armistice with Germany, is executed in a wood outside Paris by collaborationist French. Mandel escaprd to Morocco, where he was arrested and sent back to France and imprisoned. He handed over to the Germans, and put in concentration camps in Oranienburg and Buchenwald. On July 4, 1944, he was shipped back to Paris, where the French paramilitary pro-Vichy "Milice", took him out to a wood and shot him. As he was being handed over to his countrymen by the German SS, he said: "To die is nothing. What is sad is to die without seeing the liberation of the country and the restoration of the Republic." 1998: Leonard Frank Sly passes away. AKA Roy Rogers set the standard for the Code of the West, not the least of which was staying married to Dale Evans! The star of 87 movies and a TV show; with his band, The Sons of the Pioneers: what all-American boy didn't have Tumblin' Tumbleweeds, Ghostriders in the Sky and a Palomino steed in his own fantasy inventory: 'Happy Trails' to you' ol' Pard!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote