Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 06-14-14, 06:13 AM   #144
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Sweden and Germany = same time zone, yes, GMT+1? I will begin sessions at full hours in the evening, what hour exactly depends on football. Today 2400 plays England versus Italy, that is a safe bet for when I will not play. Nothing beats the sight of England sinking (Skybird running away and for his life...)

Maybe Mylord will join as well. Or Nippelspanner, for a change. Feel invited, Nip.

Quote:
Cool stuff. Tried that range at Redfeather, comes in handy learning some of the animals.
You may have noted how easily arrows turn from lung shots into body shots when hitting beyond maybe 20m. I prefer 10-15m, therefore. You can hit at 50m, yes, but you will never do sufficient damage. I did some archery in real life, long time ago, in game the bows in no way represent the brute power they have in real life.

A good compound bow has more penetration than most pistol callibres. It's brutal. Piercing 10cm of hard oak at 12m and the arrow sticking out 20cm and more, is possible - I've seen it. Or watch this guy, he is a German expert on compund bows, quite well-known over here. Penetrating 2.5 mm of aluminium - no surprise - but then another 15cm into a massive wooden cube.

So, in game the bows are a joke. The arrows should easily penetrate any deer by their full length.

In reality, I think hunters would prefer very short ranges as well, to reduce the chance of letting the animal suffer when misaiming. When I hear somebody saying he shot a roe at 30 m, I raise an eyebrow already. Possible? Absolutely yes. A sign of competence? Not really.

But bows in the game really deal well with turkey, coyotes and - when aimed well - roe deer. They drop them in place. Just never shoot beyond 20m. The closer, the better.

P.S. If you wonder about the so-called camping equipment. It is a consumable. It allows you to teleport not just to lodges, but to the one or two camping sites that some of the maps offer, so adding a couple of additional starting points to enter a game. Its cheaper then using tents and place them, but it is a consumable. Not essential.

The medikits may be a good idea to carry when hunting elks, moose, bears and hogs and approaching them very close. These animals could plow you under and let grass grow over your last known position. If not getting surprised by bears and not carelessly dealing with elks and moose, you almost never will need them. They allow you to continue the session in place instead of getting teleported to the next lodge after the animal attacked. They are consumables, too. Not essential

The wind indicator is not often needed. It sprays a puffy white cloud that travels with the wind. Some maps have no falling leafs as wind indicators, that's why. Not often used and so, not essential.

The scent eliminator spray is a good idea if you ever buy clothing that focusses not on scent elimination like your B&C, but clothing redcuing your visibility. Usually these clothings offer no or only minor scent reduction. If you wear fancy clothing with no functionality at all, the spray also is a good idea.

Callers are most important for you to focus on.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-14-14 at 06:40 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote