View Single Post
Old 03-03-14, 10:00 AM   #2308
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Nope, those are required due to the type of file (Special GR2 - pointers come before data) and the section's alignment value

I fixed the import problem. Wow, it was messy but it's all sorted now.
The only problem I have left to fix is if you go ahead and delete the material bindings not needed anymore after the import it corrupts the file. If you don't delete them everything is fine. I'll look into it tomorrow

Since you are at it, can you tell me what is wrong with the "billboard" meshes linked below? (for use as simple shrub models)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hs..._obj_files.rar

The first of them was created by me from scratch, and the second one is exported from one of the vegetation.GR2 files in the terrain folder, with little custmizatons by me. I can import the two of them into vegetation.GR2 with no problems, but when I do a loose inport of them in the GR2 file I am currently working on (pantelleria.GR2, 'far' mesh), I get the following message on saving:

Quote:
********* There are broken chains in Section 1! File is more than likely corrupt. Unable to save *********
The same happens with other files/meshes. Import options seem not relevant either (even the mere importing of vertex data is enough to break chains), but I have noticed something else: if I combine one of the billboard meshes with other meshes, and then import them all as a single mesh (you can do the same with the other model parts I sent you yesterday), broken chains are no longer reported, and I can save the file normally. Is it possible that the number of vertices/edges/faces is relevant in this case?

I have another question: I find the "view vertex declaration" function very useful, but is there a way to remove some of those declarations from a mesh, if not needed? Though not used, Normal, Tangent, Binormal, Diffuse, and Self-Illuminations UV coordinate declarations are always there (provided that the original mesh had them), no matter if I choose not to import them from obj file and not to use existing vertex data instead. I hope I made myself clear

Quote:
As far as your bounding boxes and spheres remember that the bone that the mesh is tied to determines their 3D position in the world.
Have you seen my GR2 file? I have set the flags all of its mesh-linked bones to 0 (no position data, no rotation data). Shouldn't that involve that bounding boxes/spheres are centered on the geometrical center of each mesh?

Quote:
Wish it was that easy! The problem is the ExtendedData is different depending on how the bone/mesh/material is used/defined This is the major obstacle currently as to creating new GR2 files from scratch and for adding new meshes. I don't understand what determines which ExtendedData type is used for what and when.

Take a look in Granny Viewer and you'll see ExtendedData is different for all the same items of a category (mesh, material, bone, etc.)
Yep, I had noticed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Still not Universal import for obj files.
Not yet, but TDW has greatly improved the tool during the last few weeks. You should try it again
gap is offline   Reply With Quote