Old 02-07-14, 06:55 PM   #1031
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Glad it survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Anyways, a question for people who know a lot about German battleships: when did the Germans start painting their battleship funnels red? Was it done throughout 1914-1918? I assume it was as an identification measure. Would the red funnels have been applied to all ships or were there exceptions?
According to this source special paint schemes were only done for recognition purposes and only painted once at sea, being overpainted grey again before land was sighted. He claims that capital ship aft funnels only were painted dark red, and only at Jutland. He further states that at Dogger bank the aft funnels were all light blue. None of the several books I have mention it at all, so further than this I don't know.

Quote:
Also, did the Germans ever use complex camouflage on capital ships in WWI? All of the photos I have seen seem to show battleships with basic, solid gray/whitish paint schemes.
I've looked through several books, and none of them say. Websites such as Wiki mention camoflage on British and American ships, but don't mention Germans. I've looked through a couple of forums, and the concensus seems to be that even the British used camo only experimentally, and the Germans not at all.