View Single Post
Old 01-25-14, 02:23 PM   #143
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Ranges of VORs vary, some reach 30 miles, others for over a hundred miles. It depends on their purpose. Important only is that two VORs sharing a frequency are not so close that they lie within the range of the other.

Like with ILS transmitters, they all share the same small couple of frequencies, but since their range is very limited, it usually does not matter. Occasionally it happened that I made approach to an airport and still was some distance away, and saw the needle come to life, when it received another airport's ILS near my course.

Vor a VOR, you can preset a desired course on the instrujment on whcih you want toi approach the station. A localiser in not discriminating its signals allowing that, nor does a NDB do that: that's wha it is called non-directional beacon. You still can do that, but need to do it unguided, by using eyesight and a compass and estimate your vector manually. VOR of course is more precise and thus allows radio navigation.

As always, I ignore GPS in my explanations. GPS makes flightsimming boring.

Aye its kinda boring that I can just climb to FL 200 and flip the switch to GPS and the autopilot locks on and everything.

I mean don't get me wrong, thats potentially how they do it on long international flights right? To keep their hands free and let them focus on maintaining awareness, but for practical purposes of 'learning' how to fly I think I am going to start doing much more manual. For now, its going to be following my GPS routes (Since it can be set to follow VOR to VOR anyways) constantyl tuning into different NAV stations with just me in the cockpit can get a bit taxing.

I must say though on another note, I wish there was a better ATC mod out there... being handed off between the XXX Approach and XXX center 10 times while in the damn airspace is a huge pain in my butt. I hate it I really do. I want to get online and fly with someone else in the cockpit with me with someone real behind the ATC. Just to get a feel for what its like. But eh I digress. I need to work on handling the plane on my own. I feel cheap that I set it to autopilot for most of the flight and the landing.