View Single Post
Old 12-25-13, 03:11 PM   #6718
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_dan2987 View Post
I was complaining about realism! And yes I would love to run at RT. Although, who would take the night shift skippering my sub?? I have let the game run for days before at RT, and honestly, it seems to become unstable after a while of doing that. It starts glitching at crashing. It's like the game was designed to be run at 1024x until an attack, then only RT for short amounts of time.
And I was joking, of course. That is one of the complaints I've always had with people who do run it at 1x and claim it's more realistic. In real life even the captain has other things to do, including sleep. Running the game 24/7 while you do the dishes or go to work makes no sense to me, as I don't see the difference between letting it run while not there and using TC.

But that's just me.

Quote:
In the messages_en.txt do I just change the "1" values to "0" to shut them off? I'm assuming those numbers are binary code for on/off. I want some of the messages, but I want to keep it to the historical one per month or 75 total for the war.
There I can't help you. I like all the messages. One interesting point came from someone who did run a patrol in real time. Golden Rivet pointed out that while people complain about the messages knocking the game back to real time every other minute, he found that while playing in real time they became a welcome relief, actually only coming every couple of hours.

When I was in we had a constant running loop of fleet messages that we monitored and transmitted up the ladder if we thought it was required. On the other hand we had teletypes that printed out automagically, so we didn't have to copy and translate them to English before handing them on. I suspect that the KM radiomen did indeed spend their days copying messages from general transmissions, only showing the duty officer and captain the ones pertaining to their boat. I would like to see that in the game, with special transmissions dragging the game down to real time, but general transmissions stored in a log for perusal whenever the player/captain felt like it. SH4 has something like that with regular and 'Fox' messages.