View Single Post
Old 10-23-13, 09:31 AM   #4462
the dark knight
Bosun

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

January 18th, 1940 (campaign #2)

U-123 IXB

Patrolling in AM 65. I have been hunting unsuspecting merchants, and had already sunk a large tanker, small tanker, ore carrier, 2 coastal merchants, and a granville type freighter. I still had 10 of my torpedo's left (most of my victims being finished off by the deck gun) when near the mouth of the River Clyde I run across the HMS Hood sitting stationary. Finding it odd that she is here, I fire all four bow tubes at a range of around 2000M. I set 2 to impact, 2 to pass under the keel with magnetic detonators. One of the magnetic pistols explodes half way through its run, yet the Hood doesn't respond. The two impacts hit amid ships, and the last passes under the keel and explodes. I turn the IX around and fire both stern tubes at 5m depth with impact pistols. One aimed for the forward powder magazine, the other for the rear magazine. Both hit, and HMS Hood turns turtle and sinks! On my way home with 2 torpedo's in the stern and 2 in the bow torpedo rooms.

I say it is odd that the Hood was near Greenock, because according to the HMS Hood's war diary, Hood was supposed to be patrolling the Shetland–Faeroes gap from the 15th-24th of January in 1940.