View Single Post
Old 10-15-13, 03:40 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

GFX drivers are a very dubious bunch of clowns. Although it is said that you can trust nowadaysw (in case of nVidia drivers) to just install one version over the next and the installation taking care of everything necessary, I found this to be wrong on several occasions. So, I ALWAYS manually delete the old driver before installing another version. Since system restore also never has earned my trust, but failed almost every time I ever cared to try it, it is no option either.

Another good advice is to stick with the version that works stable for you and your needs, it does not matter if you use a version that is two years old. If it works for your needs and your stuff, then it works for your needs and stuff. I think "updating" gfx drivers never has solved any issue for me that I ever might have had. And often trying out a new driver version just introduced new problems to me, leading me to moving back to the former version again.

Some things just need to be done manually, the hard way. That might be old-fashioned - but in case of gfx drivers it is the only thing that works for me, since very long time.