View Single Post
Old 07-19-13, 02:47 PM   #38
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Figured i'd show off the other lady in my life, she's not just a safe queen, and she's allergic to polymer. All steel, wood, and leather, she enjoys grease a lot more then CLP, 100% pure tung oil and 100% pure neatsfoot oil.

Anyway, so, here's my Deer rifle, pictured with a 5 round magazine.
- Sling is a government issue, national match 1907 sling. ( NSN 1005-00-714-1245 if your curious).
- You can't see it, but i just replaced the spring guide with a sadlak national match spring guide. (details here. )
- Scope is a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3x9x50. (gift from my dad for my birthday)
- Scope mount is a Picatinny Rail low Scope Mount made by Basset Machine company in texas. (Website here ) ( a birthday gift from my wife, who also happened to name my rifle Tallulah)

- The grease i've been using is actually Mobile 1 synthetic grease. It looks pink in the tube, goes to transparent on the rifle, but for some reason the flash brought out the pink coloration, so you can really tell where i've lubed her up. And yeah, that 50MM lens barely clears the handguard. There's enough space to easily remove or place the lens cap. I got REALLY lucky when i ordered the scope rings.

Open chamber with 5 round mag seated in. I've actually loaded this rifle like a bolt action rifle, inserting one round at a time into the magazine. The 5 round mag is flush fitting, and doesn't remove easily. You have to reach in from the top and push down while working the magazine release. Kind of a pain in the ass.

For a point of comparison here's a 20 round mag that the rifle was designed to use next to the 5 rounder. Also, versatility is what this rifle is about in my opinion, because with a 20 round mag, all i need is a bipod, and she's gone from hunting rifle to Designated Marksman Rifle.

More on versatilty, remove the scope, and she becomes what she really is, the last wood and steel battle rifle. I recently just changed the flash supressor to one with a bayonet lug, and it chimes like a tuning fork.

So why'd I put a bayonet on there? Because i could? Because it's cool? Also because I wanted her in the original design configuration for historical reasons. I'm sure historically correct is something everyone here can appreciate, although I do realize the 1907 leather sling isn't historically correct. The problem with the GI issue canvas web sling is it's noisy, and the adjustment clasp scratch's the stock. So i just use the leather one. Its quiet, and doesn't scratch.

One reason i got the basset machine scope mount is because it is detachable, hold zero within 1/2 moa, and doesn't permanently alter the rifle. Here's a picture of how it locks in if your curious. Apologies for the flash.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote