Old 07-02-13, 08:28 PM   #134
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
You should build a showroom.
I once planned to build a model of every US aircraft type starting with the Glenn Martin Bomber of 1918 and the Curtiss PN-1 of 1921. I actually started with the Curtiss P-1 series of 1926, but I got sidetracked. The problem is that to accomplish such a feat one would need the equivalent of a scale model museum, and I've never had that kind of money. Then I found it was easier just to build the game pieces I needed. Not as much pressure and much easier to store. They only come out of their cases when they were needed.

Quote:
You could do one that's not part of your game that you do.
True, but why would I want to. Modelling is like modding - you make what you want to, not what someone else thinks you should. If somebody offered me a contract to build something I didn't care about, I'd probably take it, but it would cost him a pretty penny.

Quote:
Model like a section of a destroyed city with some troops and have the Battle of Stalingrad.
There are thousands of gamers who do exactly that. It's perfect for an infantry and armor game. I just happen to have exactly zero interest in that sort of game. I like airplanes and I like ships.

Quote:
My Norwegian friend Marinenachrichtendienst does some modeling. I've always thought he does a good job on the landscapes.
Those are absolutely gorgeous dioramas. They are made to tell a story, and they do so fantastically well. I've been tempted to try a diorama at different times in the past, but it always got sidetracked. On the other hand they have absolutely nothing to do with gaming of any kind. They are display models, and very fine ones.

Quote:
I'm just sitting here like "The perfect model would be if these two guys work together." You both do great work.
For their intended purpose those are already perfect models. What would he need me for? And vice-versa: I build what I want to, for my own purposes. I couldn't help him with what he does, and he can't help me with my own obsessions. All I can do is admire his work and give him the praise it deserves.

Quote:
If he did the buildings and landscape and you did the vehicles it would be a work of art worth more than a 1000 words.
Is there something wrong with his vehicles? The rust and peeling paint on the pickup alone are works of art. His dedication to detail is wonderful. I might be able to match something like that, but I'm not claiming I could, and I certainly couldn't top it. Just from this brief glimpse of his work I'd have to say he's one of the greats.

I'm not saying I wouldn't work with somebody else if the occasion arose, but unless it was some big project paid for by someone else we'd just get in each others' way.

And I'm happy building what I build. And I've already pointed out that my game pieces, nice though they may be, are not even close to contest quaility. His are. I could build contest models, but I'd be looking at several months for each one, rather than a few days.