View Single Post
Old 06-29-13, 03:47 PM   #854
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
re Storm Eagle,And they have added a Falklands add on that allows you to do the Battles around the Far East squadron of Von Spee, and they even added a map for it. The only drawback is the series is VERY expensive, really beyond reasonable limits i feel, tho that wont change i doubt. Too bad for it is the only other sim other than your mod that does deliver WWI naval well.

Your AC are top drawer! very well done. I love that class even tho by WWI as a class they were becoming a puzzle as to what their role should be, as they could not stand up to the main battery fire of most BB and BC but were too large and too massive an investment to just abandon. Both sides had them, but the UK has the most. All the profiles and details look accurate and well done. I esp like your textures. In spite of constant maintenance ships of that era were darkened by coal dust, weather and the North Sea and your textures are accurate in their portrayal of that. Well done all round.!!!!
Yes, I like these ships, even though they had no business being in the front line. It's often forgotten that at Jutland, nearly one third of the British losses came from the Armored cruisers - two of which had no survivors ("Defence" with 903 dead, "Black Prince" with 857 dead, and "Warrior" with 71 dead). If I'd been in charge of the fleet I would have disbanded the old cruiser squadrons in 1914 and used their crews as manpower for destroyers & trawlers. Of course, I have the benefit of hindsight, whereas in 1914 everyone ignored submarines & still believed that the naval war would be decided by a big surface battle.

Regarding the mod, I tried skinning the U-53 model with little success - I will be creating a new hull form, possibly based on one of the armored cruisers, since their skins seem to be more than adequate. With Wings3d it's a bit of a gamble whether or not a particular model can be skinned easily.

Once again, the emphasis will be back on the submarines themselves in the weeks ahead.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote