View Single Post
Old 03-17-13, 11:01 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I could give so much advice all at once you'd feel overwhelmed. Probably so could more than a few others. So I'll start simple.

1. What do you want to do? Throw some plastic together and slap some paint on it? Try to make a work of art? Somewhere in between?

My first recommendation would be to go online and see what's there. There are several popular scales, and you can make some pretty small models with just a few parts, or you can build a big plane with more than 100 parts just for the engine. Of course you want to start easy. I'm just telling you what the possibilities are. There are books available that give you good instructions on what to do and how to do it.

2. Supplies: There are actually several different kinds of glue to choose from. Not just different brands, but actual different types for different jobs. For a simple plastic model plain old Testor's plastic cement is a good place to start. Not the kind in a tube, but in a glass bottle with a brush. There are several kinds of paint to choose from. It takes great practice and skill to get good with a paint brush, and no matter how good you are it's never going to equal the results obtained with an airbrush. On the other hand airbrushes and compressors are expensive and also require a lot of patience and practice.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just make you aware of what the future can hold if you decide you really like building models. Really you should just ignore me. Find a model that looks good to you, buy some cement and an X-Acto Knife (a #11 X-Acto is the most valuable tool you'll use, and they're cheap), do a little research into paints and then have fun.

I, and several others, will be glad to answer any questions along the way, and to give specific help for problems that arise.