View Single Post
Old 02-28-13, 08:10 AM   #101
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonSamurai View Post
That video lost a lot of credibility to me when the instructor fired significantly faster in the demonstrations with smaller clips.
Smaller magazines, or "mags" for short. (ill explain why the word is important below). Now as to the instructor firing faster, you have to remember that this guy is a prrofessional shooter. He shoots for time. He reloaded faster because he tried harder then he normally does. The best comparison was the woman who was not a pro shooter.

Quote:
Then there is the issue of how they were reloading off a bench (not realistic in real situation and significantly speeding up the reload process).
The point in the portion where they were shooting the different magazine sizes wasn't to show how many bullets they could get off in a time period, but how much time it took to fire X number of rounds with magazine changes, all other variables being equal except for the skill of the shooter.

As for access to mags, If one doesn't have all the tacticool gear like a Molle vest and other assorted chest rigs, all you really need is a bag slung over your shoulder like a bandoleer bag. Reach in, and grab one, it doesn't take much time.

Back to clips. Whenever someone says something like, "They should do away with high capacity clips that hold 30 bullets" I laugh my ass off. So awhile ago i made this picture to illustrate a point in terminology, and how the the improper use of it shows ignorance.

(I made it 25, because I ran out of space in the photo editor, and i was too lazy to start over and resize the layers. )

Ban high capacity clips that hold lots of bullets? Sure go ahead, but one might have hard time finding them to begin with since they don't exist.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

It scales somewhat but the differences aren't that great. Yes a less practiced and/or scared person will take a little longer to reload but that's a lot bigger issue to those defending themselves than it is to someone who is on a killing rampage. They tend to be cool and methodical and they are prepared for a fight.
Have to tell you, one of the coolest "features" on my M9A1 service pistol, is on a reload, it doesn't take much force while slapping a new magazine in to release the slide and have the next round chamber. Slingshotting or slide release lever not required! LOL I'm not sure if that is an intended feature, but what the hell, it works in my favor. The other "feature" i have, is since the decocker broke, I could actually carry it "cocked and locked" like a 1911 and bypass the double action pull. However i don't because thats not how the gun was designed. I really need to get my pistol serviced.

Quote:
There are over 30 million standard and high cap mags out there in American hands already that they know of and I believe there are way more that they don't. Either way limiting magazine size will limit the firepower of a victim not the aggressor.
Yup, I have 3 more mags from checkmate industries arriving tomorrow to add to, and top off, our mag cache.

Last edited by Ducimus; 02-28-13 at 08:46 AM.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote