View Single Post
Old 02-24-13, 02:09 PM   #1523
Singed
Sailbad the Sinner

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

Maybe this will help some folks:

I had a host of problems getting this all working, but eventually got it all going, maybe this will help someone, or maybe Sober will tell me how badly I messed up and to stop giving bad advice.

How Singed, a totally new SH5 player, got Sober's complete list working, on a laptop no less, in a way that will let him play 3-4 complete gaming sessions between odd, random CTDs.

Assumptions: Any previous installations of SH5 completely eliminated, SH5 installed outside of Program Files directory and latest updates from Ubisoft applied. JSGME installed in SH5 directory. 7zip installed.

- Get the latest all in one from Subsim. Some of it is superseded, but it represents the bulk of the downloading work.

- Get Sober's newest .MEP file.

- Extract the all in one to a temporary directory and start going through each mod. Pulling the correct one to SH5/Mods. Note that some mods are basically mods within mods, so just pulling the entire folder may not work right. You may have to use 7zip to drill down a layer or two to get to what you really need.

Clue: The mod you need will have the right name and will only have a /data folder and maybe a /documentation folder.

- When this is done, put Sober's latest .MEP file in the SH5/Mods directory.

- Using JSGME, go to TASKS -> Import mod profile: Attempt to load Sober's latest MEP. It will fail, but give you a list of what is missing or changed. Take notes, it will save you a lot headaches.

- This is where the detective work begins. Referring to this thread, pages 1-5 or so, you can track down every mod that is different and get those.

- Again, go through each mod making sure it is not actually a small collection of mods and place it in SH5\mods. Remember the clue from above.

- Once all the mods are safely in SH5\Mods but before actually installing them, read all of Sober's instructions and follow them to the letter. Make the TDW patch, the changes to Real Navigation, and all the rest.

Only when all of this is done, import the mods.

Like I said, I had a ton of problems, but this exact process got it running for me about 2 weeks ago and I've had very few problems. For anyone with doubts, Sober's compilation works very well and is an awesome game experience.

Also: I only play SH5 on a fresh boot of the machine with no other programs running. When I do CTD, it has always been cases where I failed to play on a fresh boot or tried to immediately reload SH5 after one without rebooting first. I think the game itself, with the mods, is pretty resource heavy and invites conflicts, a fresh boot with no other programs running minimizes the changes.

Finally: If this helps anyone, and the modders bless it off as technically correct and accurate, I'll be happy to make the documentation prettier. I just typed this off the cuff in about 15 minutes.
Singed is offline   Reply With Quote