View Single Post
Old 11-27-12, 07:35 PM   #18
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqL View Post
I love this film, but atack scenes are not realistic.
How come, destroyer surprised the u-boat crew when they were attacking convoy ? That scene and few other I have to ignore. Besides its a great film.
Why is that unrealistic? u-boats didn't usually get surprised by destroyers, but it did happen. One of the main points about the book and the movie seems to be that anything and everything goes wrong, from start to finish.

Quote:
I've allways wondered, did they used real VIIC ? How did they made those storm scenes, they look so real.
No. For the inside they built a full-scale interior on a platform that could rock up and down and back and forth. For the bridge scenes they built a model of the conning tower and filmed with backdrops, and giant fans and water hoses for the storms. For the external scenes they built several different sized models, including a full-sized one for 'leaving the harbor'. That model was borrowed for Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

If you look closely at the long shots of the sub cruising, you can see that the crew on the bridge are not moving. In those scenes the crew are also models. The scene in which Frentzen falls and is injured really happened. They thought it looked good on camera so they worked it into the movie.