View Single Post
Old 11-24-12, 08:21 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa View Post
^ In Win 8, can or can you not have more than one active window displayed on screen at any one time?

I quite regularly require 2 or 3 active and displayed windows. Can Win 8 do this?
If you can, as tyrant claims, than not that easily anymore. You can trake form the article I lijnkied that users are forced to switc h bck and forth betweewn TWO OS, and that certain software used in offices for example first needs to switch to the other OS before it can run.

In reply to your question I quote from thjat article:

Quote:
One of the worst aspects of Windows 8 for power users is that the product's very name has become a misnomer. "Windows" no longer supports multiple windows on the screen. Win8 does have an option to temporarily show a second area in a small part of the screen, but none of our test users were able to make this work. Also, the main UI restricts users to a single window, so the product ought to be renamed "Microsoft Window."

The single-window strategy works well on tablets and is required on a small phone screen. But with a big monitor and dozens of applications and websites running simultaneously, a high-end PC user definitely benefits from the ability to see multiple windows at the same time. Indeed, the most important web use cases involve collecting, comparing, and choosing among several web pages, and such tasks are much easier with several windows when you have the screen space to see many things at once.

When users can't view several windows simultaneously, they must keep information from one window in short-term memory while they activate another window. This is problematic for two reasons. First, human short-term memory is notoriously weak, and second, the very task of having to manipulate a window***8212;instead of simply glancing at one that's already open***8212;further taxes the user's cognitive resources.
It seems to me that while you can reuse some old features from W7, you cannot access these features that easily anymore like you are used to do under W7. You need to do more working steps to get there. That is no increase in ergonomy, but a drop.

I had the opportunity early this week to deal with it myself a bit on somebody else'S system, (who has deleted in meanwhile...). and handling it myself instead of just watching over people's shoulders. It was a constant working-around. And whenever I jumped into an office-type of software, I had to wait until the other OS had been loaded. Ergonomy-wise, this all is crap. Simply crap. Simple, self-explanatory, ergonomic - whatever these terms means, W8 all this is NOT.