View Single Post
Old 10-13-12, 10:56 PM   #3043
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Well I dont know about others that may play it but I like machines plain and simple I like working with engines and have worked on them not on the scale of a train of course.But It is enjoyable to me the sound of an diesel engine at power is wonderful when you are the one that knows how it works and how to keep it working.I used to love taking apart a diesel generator for an inspection fix all the problems put it back together and load test the generator.

We also worked on gas turbine powered generators but I found those to be less interesting you turn them on let them spool up to 100% RPM then turn on the juice and that's it you also get to laugh at guys that try to run one but forget to lift the exhaust cover up which has a kill switch idiot proof machine but a bit boring compared to a diesel.The diesels now those are fun you have people shut them down by pulling the emergency shut off which blocks the air intake and will blow the gaskets if done at load RPM the people that make these idiot mistakes are the ones trusted to work on aircraft.

I like controlling the 4,300 HP engine which is what the loco in that photo has not sure the KW output of the DC motor in it but it is alot some run on AC and have a rectifier.Might sound boring to you perhaps.

You like to read "Book of Five Rings"(I am guessing) and how to out wit a man by carrying an oar carved into a sword as weapon that is just slightly longer than what your foe plans to face.

Last edited by Stealhead; 10-13-12 at 11:16 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote