View Single Post
Old 08-12-12, 05:55 PM   #14
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medzell View Post
I tend to agree with TDW on this. It actually IS a good idea but only up to a point I'd suggest. Perhaps a halfway house would be the ability to plot to your patrol area. (Once there you have to suit yourself. I simply use autoscripted search patterns) The other place where I see it would be a possible help is in getting home from wherever you end up after completing a patrol and are low on fuel or torps. There are a lot of targets of opportunity to come upon enroute to patrol area or on the way back but I think a "single" command the navigator to plot a course to patrol area or home would be practical and certainly wouldn't stop anyone doing the usual hydrophone searches at regular intervals along the way.

If you went "off-route" to track down a contact a simple repeat of the instruction (to Patrol Area or Home) would be handy perhaps.

At the moment all I do is plot a course and measure off estimated distance for each Navigator's positional check.

Would it be a neat little capability? I think it might

Your idea is not bad,

implementig it though would require our navigator to plot the best course to patrol area/home by himself. Too bad IIRC the game cannot foresee land masses (nor enemy coastal waters and aerial coverage, for that matter).

Harbour pilot scripts do their job because a sentient being (a certain Mr. Trevally) plotted the course for us in anticipation, knowing the starting and the ending point, wich is not the case with the feature you are proposing.

Imo the only way to implement it would be IF our navigator could follow the nodes used by AI shipping. Indeed, he should be able to "read" as well our current position and the coordinates of our requested destination that will vary during the campaign.

Another possible option for using our navigator would be, after taking a fix, being able to plot a course by setting waypoints as we did before real navigation, but keeping all the approximation intoduced by it.

If I could choose, I would put croman81's idea on the top of the list anyway
gap is offline   Reply With Quote