View Single Post
Old 07-31-12, 09:25 PM   #4251
Maceaciadh
Loader

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Just finished my 14th patrol of my 1st career. i am based in lorient after recently switching flotilla's and boats. i find the recent upgrade to the type 4 great! the extra room for torpedo's and crew is very pleasing as well as the increased range and flak gun. although i do miss the extra ammunition for the deck gun carried by the type 7.

Anyway i am sent out to patrol the eastern Atlantic with little results. only a single merchant is spotted(C2) so i position myself parallel to it, match speeds and then blow ballast! the sub flies up out of the water like a salmon with my men quickly mounting the deck gun and taking out the opposing ships guns with just 3 shots. i sink her with ease and continue up towards Britain and Ireland hoping to catch a convoy of ships that regularly pass through the Irish sea but before i get there i am spotted by bombers. i quickly order to dive but they have have already lined up into their attack runs. i take a hit it the stern whilst partially submerged which is easily repaired and continue on sinking a few ships along the way.

on the way the weather takes a turn for the worse with huge waves and heavy fog all around. i take this opportunity to sneak into the welsh harbour of merthyr. with visibility down to 300M or so nothing could spot me without blind luck. unfortunately i cannot spot my targets without the same. once i arrive there is nothing in the docks at all so i search the area nearby and find another C2 anchored just outside the harbour. i line my shot up being careful not to be to far that i cannot see the target nor too close that the safeties do not disengage. A gift of a kill really with the ship exploding into a fireball, i quickly get out of there before any destroyers arrive however i am spotted by a PT boat moments later which i swiftly destroy and set flank speed after my position is given away

i make it back to the irish sea and he weather is brightening up, i head northwards and again am spotted by planes! i dive quickly again i hear to bombs go off, then again a second round comes in. but oddly my event camera turns on and shows a plane going down . i stick up my observation periscope to see what happened and at either side of my boat there are 2 huge fires. i guess 2 bombers flew into each other . with luck like that who needs a periscope to shoot.

i continue north again and receive a message about a convoy entering between Ireland and Scotland. just what i have been waiting for! i get myself into position and lie in wait for my sonar man to to start shouting out contacts. i wait for them patiently beneath the surface and line up my shots for the largest ships, 3 C2's and a T2. as always the biggest ships belong to the Americans and i dont want to lose any renown now. i fire my first torpedo at the T2! dud A second! dud A third! thankfully this one goes off blowing the ship sky high but now i am tightly pressed for time having to reload. i sink the first C2 with ease and just about get a reload in to disable the second with the forward tubes. i then set slow speed in order to get ahead of the last C2 and sink her as well. i quickly mark the position of the disabled ship and crash dive going right down to 140 M outside of listening range. i dodge a few DCs and wait around for them to leave, then up to periscope depth to reload and finish off the last C2.

at this point i have a single torpedo left in the aft tube and decide to call it a day. i set course homewards around the north of Ireland and down to France. but not until more fighters spot me just at the northern tip of Ireland. i dive but take a hit again to stern which forces a leak. Thankfully it is only minor and so is all other damage to the electrics and diesels. i then make it back to port without much else happening only to discover in my report that my remaining hull was 9.72%! i cant wait until someone invents a damm snorkel for these things

|feb 26th-mar 8th 1941: 62% realism |
Maceaciadh is offline   Reply With Quote