View Single Post
Old 05-01-12, 10:32 PM   #3860
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Default Where is the Deck Gun for my new Gato?

Using: TMO 2.2 (still) + RSRDC + RSRDC pre-war patrol (aft mount deck gun NOT enabled)

Started this campaign in S-27 (Asiatic Fleet). S-27 had a forward mounted deck gun (and crew) which I used several times to administer the coup de gras to a couple of merchants that refused to sink fast enough to suit me.

Upgraded boat to USS Sculpin (Sargo-class). Original pics of the Sargo-class boats clearly show an aft mounted deck gun, so I was not expecting to get a gun at all, and indeed, I didn't. I only used this boat on one patrol, since I kind of blundered into the Battle of Tassafaronga (night of Nov 30-Dec 1 - Guadalcanal). Fired 4 torps at a 'wounded' Jap DD, surface attack @ 2800 yds, but got spotted as I was firing the 4th torp, and he opened up on me as I was diving doing mucho damage (87%). I can claim two hits with the DD on the way to Davey Jones Locker. Fortunatly, the other DDs were kind of busy with the US fleet to pay much attention to me. I had to stay at Flank speed and under 70' to avoid sinking. Managed to make it to Tulagi, and docked, but could only refuel/rearm. They couldn't do a thing for the massive hull damage. Left Tulagi around 3:00 AM and arrived Brisbane four days later - ran on surface all the way.

On arrival, the Admiral was a little miffed about beating up my boat so bad, but I guess my sinking a Jap DD assauged his ire a bit, and he granted me command of a new Gato-class boat (USS Flying Fish). I gave a Purple Heart Medal to my AA Gunner who was killed in the shelling.

When I went to the sub's equipment screen for RADAR and other needed stuff, NO GUN and no crew space for the gun. Where's my deck gun?

Is there something in the data files that I can change while I'm in port to get the gun back? Could I upgrade to TMO 2.5, without having to re-start the whole campaign to get a gun? I've seen this issue before on this thread, but can't find it now.

Help, please!