View Single Post
Old 04-13-12, 11:14 AM   #6
croman81
Swabbie

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonA View Post
SH5 has no wind-drift and no water-flow/drift so a "tool" for precisely heading, speed and precisely time while heading a particular course results in a cheat; a cheat which eliminates the need for celestial or coastal navigation. Totaly unrealistic for the 1940s.
You think about your objectives, your current position and where you need to go. Perhaps you draw some lines on a map, check distances and calculate the time you need to be on a specific leg of the journey. After you decide on a route, it is not a cheat to be able to 'tell you crew' to sail on one compass heading for a specified amount of time and on a specified engine setting. And to tell them, that when e.g. 60 minutes is up, change to a new compass heading. After all, you do it manually all the time and it's easy if you're using Real Navigation - as you cannot plot way points. It's not a cheat if you automate it.

BTW, dead reckoning method remains a valid way to navigate, and was always used. And thanks to TDW journal, you'd have it written down.
Celestial and trigonometric coastal navigation is important, but is hardly the only method. Or have you never been far away from coast in a bad weather?

Re the no wind/current drift... well that's unfortunate, I'd love it to be included, it would be much more interesting - but I for sure wouldn't want to be the one who has to code it - to make it realistic, it would require a huge amount of work.

IMHO, using time compression is a much bigger cheat, and I'm reducing it as much as possible. So is being able to tell your precise speed at any moment to a .1 degree of accuracy.

p.s. (off topic) How was speed calculated while on a submarine in WWII? Specifically, could it be measured while submerged?
croman81 is offline   Reply With Quote