View Single Post
Old 02-23-12, 10:30 PM   #4046
Kapt Z
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 0

There are far too many ships, sorry I mean targets, floating around the SH3 world compared to what it was like in the real war. All you have to do is look up random u-boats on the uboat.net page to see that most didn't even sink a ship. If the game was that 'realistic' it would bore even the hardcore of subsimmers here.

Personally, I try and keep my tonnage within limits by the following-

1) Ignore single ship contact reports. Only attack single ships my own watch sees or my soundman hears.

2) At anything larger than 3000 tns gets two torpedoes even when I know I could get away with only one. Makes me go through my torpedoes faster, therefore less tonnage.

3) Spend patrol in general area I am assigned even if it is a slow grid. No galavanting thousands of miles to known rich areas or harbor raids.

4) Run my diesels at slightly higher speed than ideal fuel economy speed so that having to return to base low on fuel becomes a real concern.

Most of the time if I have a successful patrol that means 3-6 ships sunk for 15m-30m tons unless I sink a large warship. This is still higher than most historical numbers, but gives me a nice balance between what feels right and arcade numbers.