View Single Post
Old 12-28-11, 10:15 AM   #2
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Have just read that story about the 'Tower 4' EW platform...incredible and now I have more interest to read about the whole (strategic) radar defense topic during the cold war timeframe.
I had a look through the bibliographies of my Cold War book collection and was unable to find any single source that might fit your request.

The topic is huge but given the diverse nature of the effort, preparing even an overview would be a huge undertaking given all the jurisdictions involved.

For example, just a partial list of the relevant systems and projects might include:

The Atlantic and Pacific Barriers (primarily USN responsible);

The DEW (Distant Early Warning) Line (primarily NORAD responsible);

BMEWS (Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (primarily SAC responsible);

Looking Glass (primarily USAF responsible);

and of course the USAF Texas Towers that you have already read about. Each is worthy of their own volume but there seems to be an overall lack of general histories on the subject.

You might do better to use the Internet to seek out individual unit and base histories, there is a vast amount of on-line information on the DEW Line for example. Wikipedia is a good place to start but the links to specific sites it provides are much more complete and interesting.

Sorry I cannot help, good luck on your search and if you find a suitable book, please share it with the rest of us here.