View Single Post
Old 12-14-11, 09:18 PM   #5
Kaleun Wagner
Volltreffer!

Location: Los Angeles w/ frequent stops in the North Atlantic
Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

Also take a look at Grado headphones; they are extremely hi-fidelity like Sennheisers (which you also can't go wrong with) but have a more classic look to them. Fits perfectly with WW2 sims such the Silent Hunter series.

These headphones sound absolutely fantastic when used with high quality audio sources. For instance, you'll hear new nuances in songs that you have been listening to for years and in general Grados also provide an excellent sound "stage" as well (so you can audibly locate the "position" of various instruments in the sound as if you were listening to an orchestra or band live in a theater).

The downside to these headphones is that they also are extremely proficient at pointing out any flaws in the audio source - so compressed sources will quickly sound worse scaled with the amount of compression involved.

I also don't care much for the foam cushions used - they cushion just fine but can be a little too abrasive on the skin for my taste when using them for extended periods of time. A quick and easy method to help with this is to get a pair of women's pantyhose which have a good tactile quality, and cut enough material from the bottom of them (where the front of the feet would go) to form a soft barrier around the foam cushions.

Also, these headphones are not the best to use with portable music players like an iPod. Although they will work and still sound quite good, these devices just aren't powerful enough to drive Grados properly. Ideally these headphones are used with a phono amp, but that would blow the budget way out of proportion. Any computer with a good modern sound card will drive them fine (audiophiles will always insist on a phono amp though).

What I cannot comment on personally is their compatibility with the TrackIR equipment.

Here are some buying leads to get you started:

List of official UK Grado dealers sorted by county

SR-80i listed on Amazon UK for £108 w/ free shipping (just to give an idea - I don't know if this is the cheapest price for the UK; in the US they seem to be quite a bit cheaper - $99 or £64)

I would personally go with Sennheiser if you want a modern look or the Grados if the classic look appeals more, given that a particular model is compatible with the TrackIR.

Good luck with your search!
Kaleun Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote