Old 11-11-11, 09:57 AM   #75
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Yes!!! Harvey effing ruled!

After watching it, and digesting it, I must say Harvey, and Mr. Tyler were great in this movie.
I like Harvey Keitel, and he some great lines, but they lost me when they had him sound the klaxon three times to dive. Nit-picking? Sure, but if they can't even get the smallest detail right...

Quote:
Though the realism hits me at points.

First of all, the one black man on the boat.
Americas military was nowhere near integrated at that point.

Fifth row, far left. Black cooks and stewards were not uncommon, even on a submarine.

Quote:
Second, and most importantly.

The Brits found the first enigma box. It takes away from them, which is not fair. There are a thousand stories of heroic American deeds during WW2, and finding the enigma machine is not one of them, nor should it be. (this movie fools morons who get history from Hollywood)
In fact such a big fuss was made over that point at the time that a disclaimer was put into the credits. It might have been more fun if someone in the movie had complained that they had to do this because the Brits weren't sharing. Still untrue, but more fun.

Quote:
Very entertaining movie, and I did like it, not enough to put in my previous top 5 though. But it was pretty entertaining, if you like movies and not history.
I complain about it, but on the other hand I'm a fan of an arguably much worse movie.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=139820