View Single Post
Old 08-19-11, 11:06 AM   #25
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Ok, here we go. Opening the various vents/holes on the starboard side didn't go quite as smoothly as the port side.

The plastic was so thin in this area, much moreso than the port side, that it was not possible to save the horizontal division below, but it was a simple fix using .75MM quarter round styrene. Still some filing to do to clean up all the holes in this area.

OK, I thought I had ruined the model with this one. I didn't see any way to fix it. A little aggressive grinding turned the red circled area below into one big hole. The thicker vertical part was still there, but slit through the middle.

Note: this pic is obviously post-fix. I was too mad at myself to think to take pics of the botched job.

Here's a pic of the fix from the back side.

Using an X-acto knife and #11 blade, I thinned a piece of .75mm quarter-round. The thicker piece below, used for reference, is the remainder of the piece. (I forgot I had .50mm quarter round)

Using 3 drops of Model Master Plastic Cement held the piece in place until it would hold by itself, about 60 seconds. Came back in an hour and trimmed off the excess.

The curved black line above the fix is one of my eyelashes. I'm very pleased with this one. (the repair, not the eyelash )

We'll see what it looks like after it is primed.

More later.

My U297 build thread
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote