Old 07-24-11, 05:31 AM   #3024
Snestorm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Mistakes number 3 and 4, greed and overconfidence and lack of skills:
I tried to evade in PD but got pinged. And then last one of my mistakes: I had read from Gordon Williamson's book U-boat tactics in World War II that the turning radius of submarine was something like 500 meters and that a destroyer's turning radius would be two to three times longer and that sometimes U-boats evaded destroyers using the better turning radius. Well, it didn't work out, DC's were dropped and then immediate

So a typical SH3 death. One initial smallish mistake followed by other gradually bigger and bigger mistakes. I'd better learn to respect the enemy more - even if it's just stupid AI
This was a very educational post. (A big advantage we have over the real Kaleuns).

The AI tends to lull us into disaster. Some of it does "nothing" for so long, as to lull us into a feeling of indestructability. That's when it happens. Pow! They suddenly know how to hunt uboats, or if they're already Elite (as in my game), their equipment suddenly becomes effective.

The turning circle advantage only works if:
You're on the surface at Flank Speed.
You're already inside their turning circle, and at extremely short range.

In the real world small boats, and even uboats could get close enough that a DD sized ship couldn't depress their main battery low enough. (I don't think that's modeled in SH3).

SH3 either lulls us to death, or uses our conscience against us (This is realy stupid to attack but, I might be labeled a coward for not carrying through).
One way or the other, our carreers rarely endure long term.

That's what makes SH3 a great sim, no?