View Single Post
Old 07-13-11, 01:05 PM   #3328
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Did you man the stations on the crew management page?

Did you issue the proper orders for engaging the targets?

I as many/ most like to fire the guns myself, so I can't help too much here.
This is something that's annoyed me as long as I've owned SH IV. The AI deck gun crew does such an awful job that I feel obligated to control it myself. It's hard to both fight the boat and control the deck gun at the same time.

Why are the deck gun crews such *horrible* shots? Even if I crew the gun with my top-notch "gun" guys, many of them having a gun rating of over 100, they only hit about 1 out of 4 shots. Maybe 2 out of 4, if I'm lucky.

Range doesn't seem to have much to do with it. I can park 2000 yards away from a freighter, with neither of us moving, and they'll miss a lot of shots.

They are also incapable of figuring out lead when we are moving relative to the target, even when the rate is constant. They'll fire behind or ahead of the target, with apparent disregard of previous results.

I recognize the developers were probably trying to simulate the imperfect nature of submarine surface gunnery, but many of the shots look as if my guys were secretly working for the Japanese, messing up on purpose.

It would also be nice to have some way to estimate range to target while looking through the deck gun sight.